♥Kelowna Caring Canines
is always looking for dedicated volunteers and their dogs to visit various medical facilities, educational institutions, and for the Kelowna Airport Ambassadog Program.
We thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer with ♥Kelowna Caring Canines and we look forward to meeting with you and your dog at our next Evaluation. To volunteer you will need to email us for the following forms:
The Member Application, and The Annual Health Record Form
Please mail the original completed forms to
♥Kelowna Caring Canines Society,
Suite #506 101-1856 Dilworth Drive
Kelowna, B.C. V1Y 9T1
You can also contact us to make arrangements to have your forms emailed to us. However, all the originals will need to be brought with you the day of your Evaluation.
Once your forms have been submitted, you will be contacted by our membership coordinator to verify your paperwork and to make arrangements to have you attend an upcoming Dog and Handler Evaluation.
Dog and Handler Evaluations are held several times a year,depending on the number of applicants. Click here for FAQS
Dogs and their handlers are carefully evaluated before they can be accepted. Our Dog and Handler Evaluations are conducted by our experienced volunteers in a veterinary facility with a veterinarian present.
We look carefully at the dogs:
- Relationship with its handler
- Disposition and behaviour
- Understanding of basic obedience commands
- Overall health
- Grooming and cleanliness
- Response to people and noise
- Response to different types of medical equipment
The following criteria apply to all our volunteers:
- Visiting dogs must be 1 year old or more, have a current license, be trained in basic obedience, have relatively calm nature.
- We are sorry but dogs that are fed a raw food diet are not eligible to participate in our organization . For more information, this article may be helpful;
- Cleanliness is a priority. Proper grooming, along with trimmed nails, clean teeth and ears etc. is always required for your visiting dog.
- Dogs must be fully vaccinated at the time of your evaluation.
- You can choose to volunteer from the many Kelowna area facilities we visit. Certain facilities may not let you visit until you have completed a criminal record check with the facility.
- Some facilities will require you to obtain an annual flu shot prior to each flu season.
- Volunteers without dogs are also welcome as members our Society. There are a variety of administration and promotional events that we welcome volunteers for.
- Junior Volunteers are welcome- you must be 16 years of age to visit on your own.
- If you are under 16, you may apply, but you must be accompanied by an adult, and both must pass an evaluation separately with the dog.
- Our Annual Membership fee is $20.00 to help cover our insurance costs, so that you and your dog, are fully insured while visiting.
- Before being accepted for an Evaluation, your dog must be checked by your veterinarian and our Annual Health Form must be filled out and signed by your Vet.
To maintain your membership in
♥ Kelowna Caring Canines
you are required to;
- Pay your membership fee of 20.00 by December 31 of each calendar year.
- Have your visiting dog seen by your Vet for an annual health exam. You must complete and submit an Annual Health Form annually.
- Attend at least one member meeting per year.